The SmartEnergy Compactor is helping businesses to meet their sustainability goals. This new solution enables WM to know its customers better and service them more efficiently than ever before, according to the company. Each SmartEnergy compactor comes equipped with WM’s Compactor Monitoring Service (CMS). This technology enables WM to optimize the servicing of customers’ compactors, eliminating the costs and inconvenience of unnecessary pickups while reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Waste Management specialists monitor customer compactors remotely and use proprietary hardware and software to maximize the efficiency and value of each collection. This service also removes the burden of monitoring compactors from customers, allowing them to concentrate on running their businesses. Another energy-saving feature of the SmartEnergy Compactor is the chargebox fullness indicator, which encourages users to run cycles only when needed, thereby reducing their electricity usage and carbon footprint. In addition to these energy-saving features, the new solution provides compaction performance and cycle times equal to traditional compactors. The SmartEnergy compactor’s electronic controls are powered with solar energy provided by Big Belly Solar, while the compactor motor is traditionally powered. Furthermore, the SmartEnergy Compactor is equipped with constant AC-powered backup so that if the battery doesn’t have the maximum solar charge, customers can always run a cycle while the battery recovers. “The new SmartEnergy Compactor is a big win for both our customers and Waste Management,” said Rick Cochrane, senior business director at WM. “Our customers are now able to operate in a more environmentally friendly manner while saving costs and improving their bottom line. In turn, Waste Management can continue to service customers better than anyone else in the industry while remaining good environmental stewards. The SmartEnergy Compactor can be a clear statement by our customers to their stakeholders that, as a business, they are commitment to sustainability.”
Their claims about the compactor:
- It can reduce electricity consumption by as much as 70% compared to traditional compactors.
- It can provides equal compaction performance and cycle times compared to traditional compactors.
- Each compactor is factory-equipped Waste Management’s Compactor Monitoring Service.
- The SmartEnergy Compactor’s electronic controls are powered by solar energy, provided by Big Belly™ Solar, while the compactor cycle is traditionally powered.
- The SmartEnergy Compactor has a “two-speed” system that “downshifts” when it needs more compression, resulting in lower energy usage than a traditional one-speed system.
- The charge box fullness indicator encourages users to run cycles only when needed, reducing your company’s electricity usage and carbon footprint.
- The SmartEnergy compactor is a visible statement to your stakeholders about your commitment to sustainability.