Some Effective Self Storage Tips for Keeping Personal and Household Items
By Lauren Bracy
People often find it very hard to store several of their personal belongings at home, mainly if there are too many items in the closets and drawers. But the knowledge of self storage of household items is very useful in everyday life, even more when one is shifting home from one place to another. The efficient storage systems prove to be highly beneficial while living in small apartments, where belongings may apparently seem to be more than the space available. Though the storage depends on the personal choice of a person, there are certain basic tips that come handy in all types of storages.
Few useful self storage ideas for preserving the household goods
- Storage of books and papers – Often people need to store some old books and diaries of childhood as sweet memories. So, they should store these objects securely in small boxes of suitable sizes and sealed with moisture-resistant tapes, to keep in storerooms or lofts for ages. The old photo albums should be packed in similar acid-free boxes, away from all touches of direct sunlight and moisture; the insertion of tissue papers between the photo albums and books or newspaper clippings preserve them better, by absorbing all humidity in the air.
- Storage of wooden furniture – If a new home is smaller than the earlier one, it is better to store away a few lesser important furniture pieces, to accommodate in the new place. Firstly, the furniture piece should be cleaned of all dust and dirt, rubbed with a good quality polishes and then dismantle it completely, if possible. If dissembling is not possible, then wrap thick sheets of newspaper or blanket around that object, to prevent the entry of moisture and the possible growth of moulds. Then these furniture pieces can be placed against the walls, in an erect position. The glass parts of the furniture, like the mirror of a dressing table should be well packed with cardboard, to prevent possibility of breakage. The metal parts of furniture should be rubbed well with oil or grease, to prevent the formation of any rust. Only the plastic furniture pieces can have wrapped in plastic sheets for storage, as plastic cannot be harmed by moisture.
- Storage of electronic appliances – When there is less space in a room, some rarely used electronic appliances can be packed up in their actual boxes in which they were bought. If any appliance has multiple parts that can be separated, all these pieces can be wrapped in vacuumed plastics and thermal sheets, which can be stored safely for ages and care should be taken to keep these items in perfectly working condition, whenever required.
- Self storage of seasonal objects – There are many things that are used only once a year; like Christmas decorations, lights and statues. The effective way of self storage of these articles is to keep them in the small boxes that can be safely kept over the cupboards or in the attics. The small ornamentations should be stored in small egg cartons, as these cartons are quite hard and durable. The decorative lights should be packed in old newspapers and kept in small storage boxes.
- Protection of different kinds of tools – The metal tools should be cleaned and rubbed with grease, to protect from rusting or corrosion. Steel parts when exposed to even very little moisture and exposed to air overtime beings to rust. A coat of grease prevents that exposure, hence prevent rust. Larger tools, like the spades or shovels should be wrapped together, to store safely. The power tools are better stored away in the boxes in which they were purchased, after oiling the metal joints of these useful objects.
- Storing clothes and beddings – The dresses of regular uses should be hung out in the wardrobes on the hangers, to keep the air circulating through them. The extra clothing can be folded neatly and stored in the drawers of the wardrobes. The excess beddings should also be stored in the drawers of the dressers or divans, with insect repellents tucked in between the folds.
Above mentioned are the useful self storage ideas for preserving the household goods.