Benefits of Green roofing
By Lara Buck
Green roofing has many economic, societal, and ecological advantages. Green roofing forms a critical part of construction that is environment friendly. Research has found that people are usually happy in the green environment. Green roofs encourage patients to recover faster from their sickness and also to improve the overall pain tolerance. Overall, green roofing helps in creating an excellent healing environment. Some of the well-known advantages offered by green roofing are-
Green roofing Reduces Storm Water Runoff
After the heavy downpour, the runoff can cause extensive damage to the infrastructure and cause damage to the house. Hence, green roofing plays an effective role in reducing the damage caused. The other related advantages are-
- Green roofing retains a lot of rainwater and along with the plants return water to the environment in the form of transpiration and evaporation.
- The storm water that stays in the roof is reduced overall in volume and is delayed.
- Storm water coming from the green roof is much cleaner than the storm water found in a conventional roof.
- The delay and increase in the retention of water in the runoff reduces the overall stress on the sewers and the storm water infrastructure.
- The cost savings due to green roofing reduces the need to build or modify the existing infrastructure.
Reduction in the Heat Flux in The Roof
Green roofing reduces the overall heat flux in the roof of the house, and reduces the overall energy that is required for heating or cooling, which in turn reduces the value of the energy bills. Also, green roofing the outer surface of the roof is much more effective than the insulation that is carried out on the inside. The other related advantages are-
- During the summer season, green roofing effectively protects the house from the adverse effects of solar heat.
- During the winter, the green roofing reduces the loss of heat by providing an additional layer of insulation.
- Since green roofing plays a big role in energy conservation, it results in very few emissions of greenhouse gases.
Green roofing Habitat
Green roofs serve as excellent living areas for creatures that struggle to survive in the harmful environment. Birds that nest on the ground, like the Killdeer, usually use green roofs for building nests. Some of the related advantages are-
- The habitats in green roofs can help in creating corridors that connects different habitats or patches in an urban sea or habitats away from the city.
- These habitats serve as excellent places for biodiversity.
Green roofing Creates Extra Space
Green roofing creates a lot of extra space and adds a lot of value to cities that show increase in densities. Because of this, the rooftops can be used for recreation activities like urban agriculture. The other related advantages are-
- Extra space for day care and meetings are available when green roofing is done.
- It improves the overall aesthetic view of the house for the neighbors who are staying in the adjacent houses.
- It increases the overall creativity and worker productivity.
- It improves the overall food security with the help of food production and rooftop gardening.
In addition to all of this, green roofing creates an efficient fire-resistant layer. The plants in green roofing usually house a lot of moisture. Hence, they create a natural fire-resistant layer for the house. Also, using a vegetation blanket creates a direct green result. These mats are carefully cultivated in such a way that coverage of 90% is provided in the houses. These assures house owners that weeds don’t get a chance to establish themselves and also ensure that very little maintenance is required.