Discussion About Blocked Drainage Solutions
Drains, be it indoor water drains or outdoor ones, all needs to be cleaned and sanitised on regular intervals. They must be checked regularly and should be kept clear of any kind of clogging or blockage or else it may cause leaks and may also lead to scarcity and give rise to other unwanted problems. There are various blocked drainage solutions which not only help in unclogging but can also prevent any potential damage to the property that can be caused by blocked drains in the near future and also ensures sanitation.
Drains of any part of the house can be clogged, like those of bathrooms, kitchen and so on. There are numerous blocked drainage solutions that can be used free of cost. Some of the solutions are discussed below:
- Bent Wire Hanger: It is a simple technique which is useful as well as safe. In this method, a regular hanger is bent from one end in the form of a hook and use to unblock to drain. It helps in picking out hair and other nasty stuff stuck inside the drain causing blockage.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar: It is one of the most frequently used blocked drainage solutions. By mixing 1/3rd cup of vinegar with 1/3rd cup of baking soda causes to form a fizz. That fizz action is then poured down straight into the drain immediately before the fix disappears. The chemical reaction helps in removing gunk, hair and other stuff in the drain. The substance is allowed to set for a few hours or for a night before cleaning it away with hot water. The hot water ensures the removal of leftovers and helps in clearing the odor created from the mix.
- Caustic Soda: The chemical name for caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide. Working with caustic soda needs a lot of precautions because it can cause serious damages and chemical burns if not handled properly. With a pair of gloves and suitable eye protection, one is good to go. Mixing 3 cups of caustic soda with 3/4 gallon of cold water creates a mix and make the mixture go warm. That is the moment when the mix is poured into the clogged pipe and allowed to set for at least 20-30 minutes. After the mix does it work, boiling water is poured down the drain to remove the leftovers.
- Cleaning the Pipe: One of the easiest but messy blocked drainage solutions which is also commonly used to unclog drains is the cleaning of pipes. In this method, the U-shaped pipe is cleaned as sometimes it is the reason behind the blockage of drains. With a bucket placed beneath the U-shaped pipe so that water that spills can be collected, it is dismantled and the pipe is cleaned manually with the help of a brush or other cleaning device. The pipe is turned upside-down and is cleaned as it is the easier way. After the cleaning, the pipe is fitted back and the warm water is poured down the drain for cleaning any leftovers.
- Dish Detergent: This blocked drainage solution is mainly used for clogged drains in toilets. Here, 1/4th cup of dish detergent is poured down. It acts like a greasy lubricant which facilitates in breaking up any sticky residue. After this, the detergent is cleaned off with hot water and then the dirt is plunged out. Generally, the plunger works but if it doesn’t then it has to be cleaned off manually.
- The Drain Snake: It is simple, low-tech equipment which is available in every hardware store. It is a long, flexible metal rope with a spiral metal in the end that is put inside the pipe and drain to pull out gunk and other stuff clogging the drain.