STAPLES Center, Oracle Arena, KFC Yum! Center and more host sustainability-focused events in local communities to celebrate Earth Month
Throughout the month of April, AEG Facilities venues around the United States hosted a variety of sustainability-focused events in their local communities in celebration of Earth Month and AEG’s commitment to reducing its environmental impact.
Through AEG 1EARTH, the company’s industry-leading sustainability program, AEG Facilities staff planted trees, built gardens, cleaned trails and stretches of highway, collected e-waste and more.
- In Oakland, Calif., Oracle Arena partnered with Trees for Oakland to plant 25 trees on the Coliseum complex around the arena, in addition to highlighting the arena’s electric vehicle charging stations on property.
- In Los Angeles, STAPLES Center, Microsoft Theater and L.A. LIVE teamed up to host an e-waste drive which resulted in the collection of more than 6,500 pounds of e-waste.
- KFC Yum! Center staff in in Louisville, Ky. spent Earth Day planting trees with Olmsted Parks Conservancy and Metro Louisville in addition to cleaning a stretch of highway. The arena joined Brightside’s Adopt-A-Mile program and committed to keeping a mile along River Road in downtown Louisville (a portion of which runs along the arena) clean for a year.
- Dignity Health Sports Park and AEG’s LA Galaxy staff teamed up with a Leapwood Avenue Elementary School in Carson, Calif. to expand the school’s garden in addition to working with second grade students to water and plant vegetables.
- Gila River Arena partnered with City of Glendale’s Parks and Maintenance Division to perform two park cleanups at Grand Canal Linear Park and Glendale Heroes Regional Park, located just blocks from the arena, and collected more than 40 bags of trash.
Additionally, in the days leading into Earth Month, more than 20 AEG venues participated in Earth Hour, a worldwide movement organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) which encourages individuals, communities and businesses to turn off non-essential lights for one hour as a symbol of commitment to the planet.
KEYWORDS: AEG, AEG Facilities, KFC Yum! Center, Oracle Arena, STAPLES Center, Garden Build, tree planting, earth month, #earthmonth, LA Galaxy